Lifestyle, Fashion, Beauty, Travel

Pages

23.4.17

Event | Cosmo Self Made Summit

What more could you possibly imagine being better than complimentary manicures, hairstyling, HD brows, makeovers and drinks?! Oh wait, I know, being in the same room as, not only your favourite magazines editor; Farrah Storr (for those of you who don’t know who this is, Farrah is the current editor-in-chief for Cosmo UK), but also some of the biggest influencers, successors and self-made businessmen and women today.



Yesterday, I attended Cosmopolitan’s Self Made Summit, which was held in County Hall, located just along Southbank. I had never heard of this place before, let alone stepped foot in such a wonderfully put together venue. There were spotlights all around the building, in the colour pink of course, and everything looked aesthetically pleasing and fabulously chic.

Upon arriving at 9:30am, my friend and I collected our timetables and made our way to our first talk of the day: Farrah Storr in conversation with the incredible Olivia Palermo. Never have I met someone as modest, talented and kind-hearted as Olivia, she is a prime example of a girlboss. Not only is she a model, a blogger, and former reality star, just to name a few, but she has also been working with Banana Republic on their latest seasons clothing line.



Shortly after, my friend and I got separated as we had each chosen different talks, my next stop was “From Blog to Brand”. Here I got to meet, get advice, and tips from Fleur Bell, known to many of us as ‘Fleur De Force’, Rosie Fortescue, Sam Chapman, and Sedge Beswick. During this talk these four powerful females enlightened many of us that with success comes hard work, as many of us already know. However, with today’s generation growing up so heavily influenced by social media, a lot of us expect fame and fortune to find us overnight. But there’s much more to life than having a certain amount of followings on your social media accounts, after all it is just a number on a screen.



This leads me on to the next talk I attended; ‘Flourish After Failure’. This talk was truly eye-opening. I know many of you have probably already heard the phrase, “you must fail before you succeed”, however, not many of us realise how true this is. Here I heard Charlotte Knight; founder and creative director of Ciaté London, Jessica Knappett; Drifters writer and actress, and lastly Lisa Hilton; Author and Historian, talk to us about their lowest lows and how this developed and shaped them into the person they are today and what they learned from their failures. Although each of their struggles were different, all three women learned that the value of persistence, determination, and self-belief became more valuable after each of them had failed. One key thing that I took away from this talk, was that no matter how hard something may seem at the time, or if it feels that everything is against you, there is always a silver lining and your struggles will only make you wiser and stronger.

Half way through the day, and we were off to another talk with Farrah Storr, but this time it was with Katherine Ryan. Now, I’m not going to lie to you, I had no idea who this was, but after this talk, I loved her! She is hilarious and completely open and honest about her life, which I love and respect. Once this talk had finished, my friend and I were reunited and we decided to make the most of our day. We both got a cocktail, which tasted amazing, and I later got my hair styled by Headmasters and a manicure complimentary of Jade Angel.

With the day coming to an end, we had made our way to our final talk; Alfie Deyes in conversation with Caroline Flack. Being honest, I wasn’t too fussed about this talk, I mean, I’m not really a huge fan of either of Alfie nor Caroline. However, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, and how humble and down-to-earth Alfie Deyes really is. It really is inspirational seeing someone from your hometown making a career out of something that just started off as a hobby.

This day was by far one of the best days I’ve experienced. Being able to meet and hear from the successors themselves and realising that at the end of the day they are in fact just like you and I, and to top everything off, we received an incredible goodie-bag from Cosmo themselves!







Until next time,

Nadia


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment